Explore the trees, prairies and wetlands of the eastern Sandhills with good food, local brews and friends of the Statewide and Taylor Arboretum.
REGISTER NOW, https://plantnebraska.org/connect/events/event-form/summer-in-the-sandhills/30584/tickets , for July 20 evening meal: $25/adults and $20/under 18. ALSO specify participation in other events.
EVENTS include tours and talks all day Friday. Registration is required for meal and recreation counts:
• FRIDAY LUNCH from menu at Bootleg Brewers https://bootlegbrewers.com/ , 45145 829th Road, Taylor, NE 68879 – about 6 mi. north and 3 mi. west of Taylor
• FRIDAY AFTERNOON River Tanking/Tubing or Sandhills Jeep Ecotour from Calamus Outfitters $20/person, 308-346-4697, http://www.calamusoutfitters.com/
RIVER TANKING/TUBING: From Bootleg Brewers (see bullet above) travel north on U.S. Hwy 183 approx. 5 miles to the Hwy 96 Junction. At the Hwy. 96 Junction, continue north on Hwy 183 approx. 1/4 mile to the Calamus River bridge. Take an immediate left into parking area with buses, tanks, etc. Participants will leave cars in parking area, be shuttled up the river and tank/tube back down to cars. Come ready for the river, no changing rooms onsite.
JEEP ECO-TOUR. Travel north on U.S. Hwy 183 to the Hwy 96 Junction. Take a right onto Hwy 96. Travel 4 miles. Look for the Calamus Outfitters sign and take a left onto gravel driveway between milemarkers 4 and 5. Follow driveway to Calamus Outfitters headquarters (1/2 mile) and check in at Store/Office. Limit of 15 people for Ecotour.
• SANDHILLS BEEF DINNER and joke-telling contest at Loup County Event Center, 406 4th St., Taylor 68879. After-dinner talks on the Nebraska Passport Program, history of the Taylor Juniper, and “An Artist’s View of Taylor” by Marah Sandoz, creator of the Taylor Villagers. After-dinner stargazing and tale-telling at Bootleg Brewers
Friday, July 20: 10-11am at the Ord Arboretum, Lower Loup Natural Resources District, 2620 Airport RD, Ord, NE 68862. Park in NRD parking lot.
Friday, July 20: 5-6pm at the Taylor Arboreum, intersection of Highway 91 and 183
Saturday, July 21. NOT A GUIDED TOUR. Self-guided tour of Olson Nature Preserve, 8 miles north of Albion on Highway 14, left on Y Road one mile to entrance gate. GPS COORDINATES Latitude/Longitude: 41.800 -98.105. Drive on your own to see ecosystems with blowout prairie, a bur oak grove and Loup River wetland plants and animals. Bring your own water; no potable water onsite.
• Taylor Area Accommodations: http://www.taylornebraska.com/lodging.html
• Comstock Lodge between Taylor and Sargent, 308-215-0822, https://www.comstocklodge.com/
• Wildlife Inn on Hwy 183, south side of Taylor - Phone (308) 942-6234.
• Various hotels and B&Bs in Burwell and Ord